Monday, January 29, 2024

Tasting: Ramsay Merlot

 

Name: Ramsay Merlot 'North Coast'

Variety: 92% Merlot, 6% Petite Sirah, 2% Zinfandel

Region: North Coast, California

Country: USA

Year: 2020

Price: $19

Shop Review: This wine has a bright black cherry note along with substantial cassis characteristics. In addition there is a ripe plum side from the Petite Verdot. Mouth – Lots of dark fruit and a wonderful countercurrent full of the bright nuances of plum, herb, sage, dill, and cassis. Well-balanced in the mouth with pleasant tannins and good acidity. Vivino (https://www.vivino.com/US/en/us-ramsay-merlot/w/2395875)

Wine Folly: Pg. 413 Merlot - A black cherry flavor is mentioned, but I got more of a blackberry flavor. However, there was a smoky finish and I could absolutely taste the vanilla mentioned as well. Merlot is supposed to have low acidity, but I thought this wine had an acidic taste and smell. This may be because I did not decant it for 30 minutes before drinking. 

My Review: An interesting wine to start off with! Great fruity flavor and I loved the vanilla aftertaste. There were two things I wasn't a huge fan of. The oak and smoky flavor made the wine seem more dry than it really was and there was a little spice to it (maybe black pepper). Overall, I enjoyed it!

I did not taste this wine with food.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting: Casa Silva Sauvignon Gris

  Name: Casa Silva Sauvignon Gris Variety: 100% Sauvignon Gris Region: Colchagua Valley Country: Chile Year: 2021 Price: $21 Shop Review:  P...