Wednesday, January 17, 2024

My Personal Experience with Wine Thus Far

Welcome to my wine blog! I feel that I have an interest and liking to wine unlike others my age (22). I mostly drink wine when I am at home and at dinner with family and friends. We go out to dinner almost every weekend, so there have been many instances where I have tried wine. When looking at menus in restaurants or down the aisle of a liquor store, I have found myself thinking "What makes this wine different from this one?" and "How do I know if I'll like this wine more than this one?" After some trial and error, I have found a few wines that I really like (like this Spanish red wine below), but I feel that I am limiting myself and need to branch out more.


What am I limiting myself to? I have grown to gravitate towards two varieties in particular: pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon. For more context, I tend to drink whatever pinot noir is offered by the glass at steakhouses because I have found I really enjoy it with a nice New York Strip. However, when I am not eating a steak, I tend to look in the cabernet sauvignon section of the wine list. I found what I like and I stick to it. It is rare that I buy a bottle from the liquor store, but I have a feeling that will change in the future. 

I would also like to become more knowledgeable about the subject of wine and learn to like other varieties. I think this course is a great opportunity to do both of these things. I plan on really diving into the lectures and learning as much as I can from those, but I also plan on doing a good amount of the wine tastings and the winery visit to really learn about each wine. I want to learn what makes them taste different, the process of making the wines, and which other wines I may like. What is a better way to do that than trying as much wine as I can? 


(Here's a picture of myself for grading)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting: Casa Silva Sauvignon Gris

  Name: Casa Silva Sauvignon Gris Variety: 100% Sauvignon Gris Region: Colchagua Valley Country: Chile Year: 2021 Price: $21 Shop Review:  P...